Friday, April 25, 2014

Colorado Trail Series

Colorado Trail Series
Day 5 - Part 3
Camp at Taylor Lake

Elevation:11,650 ft

The skies cleared and the sun came out just in time for us to enjoy our early arrival into camp that afternoon.  I loved getting to camp early.  It gave us time to leisurely do our chores and then enjoy some relaxation time before stuffing ourselves into the tent for the night.

We have camped here before.  As I mentioned in the last post, Taylor lake is a short drive from our house.  Then an easy 2 mile hike in from the parking area.  So we have the perfect camp spot picked out.  We can see the lake but are tucked in the low manzanita brush and pines so tightly that others can walk with in 20 yards of our camp and not even notice us.

 The tent is tucked in between two twisting pines and the branches provided a natural clothesline.  No laundry here though, the lake is shallow and the silty shore clouds the water quickly when disturbed.  In fact, filtering water was a chore that took much longer than expected.
 
I had some time to work on the pine needle basket project I had brought along.  Remember in December I posted the anniversary gift for Jim?  It meant a lot to me to be able to create this during our time together.

Jim had a chance to clean and air out his heels.
Who said this hike was all fun and games?

 I also had time to prepare an amazing dinner.
Chicken enchilada stew over rice with FRESH avocado and corn tortillas.
 
 I was digging in while Jim was busy documenting the dinner.

Once again my loving husband was in awe at my back country culinary skills.  As I mentioned in the first post he thought he was going to starve on this trip.  With all the planning and food preparation that I had done prior to our departure, I was happy to see that food was a comforting factor at the end of our day.  Food can lift the spirit and sooth the soul.  I believe it was worth the extra bit of weight to not have to suffer through a foil bag of dehydrated mystery bits when my muscles ached and my hands shivered.  A bit of chocolate and a glass of wine (notice stainless steel wine glass by my foot?) to round out the evening then off to sweet dreams under the stars.

2 Days left on the Trail
Will you come back to join us again?
 
 

1 comment:

Marilyn said...

Wow, what a fantastic backpacking trip! Around here we wouldn't be able to take an adventure like that in the mountains until July or August when the snow melts for a few short weeks.