Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Creative Fixes

When we first brought our Lab puppy, Doug,  home we had to kennel him when we went to work.  As he grow and chewed, we no longer kenneled him but used the kennel as a barrier to block off areas of our house.  Now, at 3 1/2 years old he can be trusted not to eat our things but we still have a kennel in the middle of our kitchen.  For the longest time, I threw an old sheet over it and it served as a island of sorts to pile lunchboxes and mail on.  We can't seem to bring our selves to get rid of it - the dogs still sleep in it and I like having a little extra "counter" space. 


So, I reevaluated the sheet and unsteady top and came up with a creative fix.


I picked up a vinyl  table cloth and a matching sheet at the thrift for a few bucks.  I laid cardboard on top of the kennel to even out the wiry surface.  I cut and stitched the table cloth to fit the top snugly.   After experimenting with Velcro to attach the table cloth and the sheet, I settled with sewing the two together.  The top can be wipe off with a damp cloth and the entire thing is machine washable if needed.  
\
Aspen & Doug

In the end, I didn't loose my "island" and the dogs are happy with their kitchen cave.


Don't underestimate the power of creativity!

No comments: