Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Fall Hiking

After such wonderfully productive day yesterday, I decided to escape into the high country with my friend Steve today.


Steve at the top of La Plata Canyon.

Me at the trail head sign.

We hiked over to Taylor Lake and tried to cast a line but it was too windy.  We aren't even sure if there are fish there, in fact nobody I have spoken with knows if there are or are not.  Our mission was to try and to find out today.  The frost had already taken hold of this altitude as you can see by all the fall colors.  (11,660 ft)


We did see about a dozen of these...  What these are I am not sure.  I should have taken better photos of the ones that were "beached" on the water's edge.  I tried to research them but nothing looked quite the same.  To the best of my limited findings, I can say they are larval Tiger salamanders because they still have very obvious gills, small legs / feet and the only ones completely out of the water were dead.  The few that were swimming (or rather floating below the surface) in the shallows were very lethargic, perhaps from the cold temperatures.  Next time I am up there I need to better document these slimy little critters.

Double click to enlarge
After a failed fishing attempt (no thanks to the blustery winds), we walked the Colorado Trail to the Kennebec Notch.  The views were stunning.  Then back to the truck just in time for the hail!!

Behold the beauty that surrounds you!!

No comments: