Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Sixth Anniversary

I am a bit traditional when it comes to some things.  Wedding anniversaries is one of them.  So when our Sixth was approaching I did a little research and found out the traditional and modern gift options.
Traditional: Candy
Modern: Wood or Iron

So I set about planning and creating a gift that would combine all of these elements and have sentimental value as well.  I choose a very old (and large, draft horse maybe?) horseshoe which was dug up on the property where we will build our new home next year.  I gathered pine needles from the yard of our current house.  Then with the help of an Internet savvy friend ordered Jim's favorite candy.  Who knew that Peach Jolly Ranchers were so hard to find? ( I actually did not know this was his candy dish candy of choice until we were on our hike.)

I started assembling the candy dish on the anniversary of the day Jim proposed.  I carried it along and worked on it during our great Colorado Trail hike - which despite the weight of our packs anyway Jim teased me about bringing along a horseshoe.  I told him when he wasn't looking I was going to sneak it into his pack!  He watched me work on it and was unaware it was to become his.  I finished it just in time to fill it with candy and present it to him on the night of our anniversary. 

It turned out better than I imagined, despite a frustrating start trying to attach the pine needles to the horseshoe.  I struggled due to the lack of holes in which to stitch through.  There are patterns of 6 repeated through out the design.  He loved it.  (as always double click to enlarge pictures)

 
looking down into the basket



the bottom view
 
 

 
from the side
 
 
The candy is since gone but Jim uses it to hold his keys and wallet.  








No comments: