Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Granno's Birthday!

I wasn't the only one to have birthday last month, my Granno turned 82!  My Granno and I are very close, even though we live states away (me in Colorado & she in Ohio).  At one time we did live in the same town, oh how wonderful that was!  Now I only see her about every two years.  This time she came to Albuquerque in May for my Uncle's wedding (to be posted).  We went down and met up with everyone and I got to give her her present this year, instead of sending it.

 Me & Granno
 
Do they fit?

Every year for as long as I can remember my Granno makes us (the entire family) a pair of "scuffs" (knit slippers) for our Christmas and birthday presents.  Being the eldest grandchild, I felt it was my duty / obligation to pick up this tradition.  Besides, has anyone ever knitted a pair for her?    I set out this year to learn how to make them - kind a sort a.  Easier said than done.  A really sweet lady on one of my mail routes took me in for an afternoon of knitting lessons and many hours later I produced a pair of knitted things that resembled scuffs.  The pattern was different but they did look wearable.  Perhaps a bit tighter than I anticipated but it's the thought that counts, right?  I inquired as to the pattern Granno uses and she replied she doesn't use one.  Fair enough, I suppose after you've knitted hundreds of these things it's just second nature.  Riddled with mistakes and uneven tension, she put them on like a good sport.  I am sure they are too small but I am also sure she will never complain.  Maybe I will try my hand at another pair for her birthday next year.

 I Love You, Granno!

No comments: