Friday, October 16, 2009

The Fall Harvest

Pears, Pears, Pears ... And More Pears!!
Wow! What was I to do when our friend Joseph called and said that he needed help clearing his back yard of pears? (He had to pick them up daily or the local bears would raid his yard.) Well, being the thrifty person I am, I offered to take as many as he would give me and figure out what to do with them later. So I asked around at work for jars or advice on how to can them. A lovely lady named Linda (I work with her husband, Ernie) offered me 8 dozen jars of assorted sizes, rings and a 1973 book on pickling and preserving. I was on my way to adventures in canning! After some reading, I grabbed my paring knife and went to work. I learned to can the fruit and make jam with the book and a few phone calls. By the end of the week, I had 6 pints & 2 quarts of pears (either plain in syrup or spiced with vanilla and whole cloves), 13 pints of ginger pear preserves, 3 batches of pear cinnamon fruit leathers. I had made two pear upside down cakes and given away a large cloth grocery sack of pears. Passing along part of this wonderfully sweet and juicy burden to my coworker and friend Sam, she produced two pies and numerous loaves of pear bread. Now, my computer/pantry (our smallest spare room which houses our deep freezer, 5 gallon bucks loaded with bulk flour, sugar, pasta, rice, cases of canned goods I find on sale, our tiny computer desk and an indoor worm composter) is overflowing with jars of pear halves and preserves. I actually ran out of shelf space and started putting them in the bottom drawer of our filing cabinet. Nothing goes with tax papers like jam!
In my over zealous canning excitement, I solicited a large bag of apples from another coworker. I attempted to make applesauce with a few of them but failed. More reading and research revealed my mistakes and I am in hopes of processing the rest of them within the next couple of days into a more successful batch of applesauce.
Overall, this was quite a learning experience. I feel as though I may be carrying on part of a lost art in my kitchen. I can only hope that in the cold months to come the pears bring my taste buds tasty treat.
Can On... But Don't Get Stuck In A Jam!!

No comments: