Wednesday, October 21, 2009

The Harvest Is Over

APPLESAUCE & WINE (not pictured)!!
Well, I am finally getting to all the apples that have been sitting in bag and a box in my living room. After the great pear preserving marathon, I couldn't peal another fruit for days. All I had was a brown paper bag of apples. I figured they could wait a while. Then a few days ago I was given a whole box of apples. I looked at my friend Ernie and exclaimed, "What am I supposed to do with these?!" He replied is his plain Texas way, "Make wine." Huh. I never thought of that. I was busy wondering how much applesauce my family could consume, considering Jim doesn't eat apple pie or apple bread. So curiosity got me and I started picking Ernie's brain on how to make wine. I have a wine making book but it seemed complicated and required materials I didn't want to invest in. However, if Ernie can make wine why can't I?

He explained the basics ... a 5 gallon bucket, apples, raisins, water, sugar and yeast.

I cut a bucket full of apples this morning and mixed in the restof the ingredients. Recording the exact measurements on the lid of the bucket, I stashed it in our spare room where it will stay cool. I have to wait 60 days to find out if this will be drinkable or not. Although, Ernie swears by it and explained that it will actually be closer to a brandy or schnapps than actual wine. We'll see.

Despite all my wine apples, I still had quite a few left in the box. I decided to make applesauce again. After my failed attempt in September, I did more research and tried again this morning. Much Better!! I canned 5 quarts and put 1 pint in the refrigerator for immediate satisfaction. I sweetened it slightly with organic cane sugar and spiced it with a bit of cinnamon. It tasted so good warm out of the pot I just wanted to eat it all. It was so easy I can't believe I goofed it up last month.

I still have about 1/2 of a bag of apples, which I am going to run through my juicer over time. As for now, the harvest is over. (Unless someone drops another box of apples on my porch!!)

Enjoy the changing seasons and colors...Winter will be here soon!

No comments: