Saturday, February 20, 2010

Blast from the Past - Basket Bowls

All four together.

On these two, I rolled the sides slightly in.

Note the cool weather spots on the bottom of these bowls!

Abiding the request of a friend, here are some more basket creations. This was a set of four basket bowls I had made for a lady back in the fall of 2007. She wanted to send them as Christmas presents. They are gourds which I had let weather outside to create beautiful spotted patterns. I used a Dremel to cut them in half, then brushed out the inner webbing and seeds. To create the holes in which I would attach the pine needles, I heated a nail over a candle and burned holes around the rim. I had tried a small drill bit but I didn't care for the "clean" look it left behind. The hot nail burns an uneven hole as it sinks through the wall of the gourd and blends better this the dark weather spots. These bowls were approximately 6" wide and 4-5" tall. I enjoy the blending of gourds and needles, but it is often hard to find the right gourd. I still have two trash bags full of gourds out in the shed awaiting their fate, but as always work gets in the way. Ahhhhhh, if only I could make a living on my basketry.

Be Creative In Your Own Way!!





2 comments:

Jim said...

Wow! Peggy and I are enjoying your basket pictures after getting your call this morning.

I love your description of burning the holes with nails. I've done that as practice on a gourd I was experimenting on with wood burning tools, and have wanted to try it on a basket too.

I agree the drilled holes look too uniform and exact on the style of bowls we make, and distract from, rather than enhance the interesting mold splotches.

Jim said...

By the way, good choice of color for the backdrop, the baskets look great on that green!