Thursday, November 11, 2010

First Snow

"Be careful what you wish for"
That's what they say. (Who are "they" anyway?) Well, so far everything I post comes to me the next day. Two days ago I was ranting about it not being cold - yesterday: freezing temperatures. Yesterday I complained that if it was going to be cold it should snow - this morning: Snow!! Maybe to day I should discuss the poor economy? Who knows, perhaps a bag of money will show up on my doorstep tomorrow. (Wishful thinking.)
Meanwhile, I never got around to putting away all my garden containers and winterizing my herbs. Why waste the beautiful weather we've been having to do chores that bring such sadness? It is definitely the end of the season when I put everything in it's place for the winter and stop harvesting even the smallest herbs. Besides, I don't procrastinate today - I wait for tomorrow to do that.

Terry, our androgynous yard gnome, was looking a bit sassy with all the snow on it's hat.


My poor frozen plants. The snow's melting off the roof as I type, I will let it warm up some then head out to take down the 'Mater house, pull up the chard and clean out the box of cilantro. I am sure the worms in the compost will be happy to have new greens. But for now...

I will spend my morning doing one of my favorite things - Rummaging the pages of cookbooks!!
With a cup of coffee and a hot bowl of teff, I am going to sit at the table and flip pages. I pulled these two off the shelf in search of inspiring comfort foods. Sarah Leah Chases's Cold-Weather Cooking, I picked up at the Friends of the Library used book sale last spring for $4. I put it away until the seasons changed. I think now is a good time to dig through it. Stew Leonard's Winning Recipes Cookbook was a gift from a friend a few years back. It contains great twists on old favorites, like "pizza potpie" and "honey baked acorn squash".
Although, dinner for tonight has already been decided. Stown helps me in the kitchen at least once a week. I think it's important for him to learn to cook. My mom never taught me, I learned from books and endless experiments. In fact, I am still learning and experimenting - not too modest to say they don't always turn out great but are always edible. Like Jim says, " That was OK, but if you never make it again that would be OK too." Got to love the man who eats almost anything you put in front of him!! Stown mixed the rub and applied it to the ribs last night. Today he will learn how to braise, grill and glaze them to create "barbecue-braised country spare ribs with beer and mustard glaze". He will also learn how to make homemade mac 'n' cheese and steamed broccoli. Of course we will have a fresh loaf of bread, but he's already mastered the baking of that.
For now, it's up for another cup 'o' joe and more page turnin'...


No comments: