Sunday, November 7, 2010

Stown's First Dirt Bike Experience!!

Stown received his first dirt bike earlier this week. It's a Honda CRF 150. Kinda small, but perfect to learn on without being too powerful and scary. Today we went out for the basic lessons.
Rule #1: If you wanna ride, you gotta load your own bike.

Rule #2: Then you gotta unload your own bike.

Rule #3: ALL THE GEAR ALL THE TIME!!!
Probably the most important rule of all. We all abide by this one - Boots, Knee/Shin Guards, Body Armour, Gloves, Helmet and Goggles.

Jim, Stown and Aspen
It was all fine for Aspen until the bike started and she hauled off and out of the way. After a demonstration by Jim, Stown was on his way to starting, stopping and turning practice in a huge open space. Soon it was shifting gears and getting bored of making the same circles around the dirt lot.

Stown
Soon it was off down the dirt roads with Jim or myself.


Me on Jim's big KTM 450XC - it's bombproof!!
(Which is very important if I'm going to borrow your bike.)
Oops! As of noon on 9 Nov. I must correct this post. Jim just called to tell me that this is him on his bike. Gosh!! I thought I had a good picture of me going fast! Oh well, we all look the same in a helmet. But I really did go fast - maybe just too fast for pictures!
Jim, happy with Stown's progress demonstrated the next step in learning...


Jim
Needless to say, Stown didn't quite follow that stunt.



So we all rode and had a great time.
Then Stown learned another important lesson,

Never let your mom ride your motorcycle!!


So, I dumped the bike while I was showing off. I was wearing all the gear, so no harm no foul right? Unfortunately, I bent the front break lever pretty bad. I explained to Stown that anytime you borrow someone else's bike and break it you have to replace the part. I guess I'll be going back to the store this week.


Hope you had a fast weekend!!










No comments: